Okay, so I’ve found this new technique that I’m completely obsessed with. I mentioned it in my latest Creative Monday post, but it’s called “pixel sorting”. It is kinda part of the glitch art movement, but I’ve seen people who think that it isn’t really glitching since there’s too much control and something like that but I don’t care! It looks like pixel rain and it’s absolutely divine.
There are a few different ways to achieve this look. Firstly, there is a free Photoshop action that uses the wave effect to create something that looks kindasorta like pixel sorting. You can find it here. Warning: the soft options take like ten years.
It’s this droopy kinda wave style, and I do like the pattern in the background part!
Here’s what it looked like before the action. It was actually a candidate for the Saga-theme, but I didn’t quite like how it turned out. I would’ve wanted pictures of roses from above instead or something.
And then here it is on just some roses against a white background! I took some pictures of our roses in the garden with a white paper behind them to have for picture making, so I tried it on them!
Here’s what it looked like before!
And then there’s this app called Glitch (not Glitché, that has a lot of fun effects too but this) which I made a few cool things with and then realised the resolution was kinda crappy DESPITE the fact that I had “full resolution” active?!?!?! Get your shit together, app. Like it’s okay for Instagram but I want to be able to print it if I create something cool!
This one turned out kinda cool and I was super disappointed I couldn’t put it on my shop!!!!!Here’s what I started with! And this one is probably one of my favourites! It’s from a picture of clouds but it turned out like some kind of underworld!!! So fascinating. Here’s the original picture!And then a picture of fire was made into this!
But as I said, these are only online-worthy when it comes to resolution, and what I’ve been using the most is another technique. Well it’s two different ways of doing it that sort the pixels (uh idk if that’s the right way to put it but whatever) in different ways!
The first one is really the “original” one – using Kim Asendorf’s ASDFPixelsort script in Processing. Yeah. I was confused too for a while, but basically you use this visual arts coding software, use Kim Asendorf‘s code and run your pictures through it. It’s pretty simple once you have everything installed, and here is a video that explains it! But I just discovered that you can actually use the same code without the hassle of Processing and do it in your browser here.
And then the second one is this website. I don’t know exactly for which ones I’ve used which, so I’m just gonna show you my other pixel sorts now.
I tried to recreate the droopy dark one from the app, but it was impossible so I made it like this instead! I really like this one too though!!
Especially how the dark leaves are dripping too. <3
This one, which is from this picture of dried seaweed.
I really like this one, made from a picture of a coral reef at Oceanogràfic. (See more pictures from my visit there here.)I also wanted to recreate the cloud one with better resolution, which took some experimenting but I got there in the end! One of them turned out like this, which is pretty cool too!And then I tried it on some pretty simple images of just a black background that I used a galaxy brush on, which turned out like this:And I then added some colour into it to make this:And here’s another one where I did the same thing!
There are a bunch of other ways that I’ve tried, but they’ve either not work, not been able to process full resolution images or just haven’t looked as good. :D
Oh and most of these are available on my Society6!
I especially like this shower curtain!
And that was it for this weeks glitch news! ttyl!